John 12: Do I love my life too much?



John 12 

It's getting closer to the time when Jesus will die. Jesus came to Jeruselum on a young donkey while the people waved palm branches at him, shouting "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Blessed is the King of Isreal!" 

His following has grown because of the miracles people have been witnessing and the Pharisees are eager to put all this to an end.

Jesus says "The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it produces many seeds. The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me; and wherever I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me."

There's a lot of little twists and turns in this passage, but I believe the main message is to compare loving your life here in the world, versus loving the life God has for you, as a Christ-follower. It appears to be an either or. There isn't room for both.

I reflect on where I am in my spiritual journey, with respect to this passage. Do I love my life? Does it make sense to me that as I love my life more, I am losing it? YES! I get it. At least, I think I do. I think it has to do with false idols. And also Matt 6:21 "For where your heart is, there your treasure will be also."

What do I long for?  Are they things that God also longs for? 

Let's drill down into some specific examples. Today I long for my kids to become successful people. I long for inner peace without the constant chatter of voices in my head. I long for things to go smoothly - our family trip to Hawaii and in our homeschool co-ops and local association. All these 'longings' turn into obsessions and anxieties and at to varying degrees, they have become my idols. It is where I place my heart.

They are not bad things in themselves, but my obsession with them prevents me from opening those areas of my life to God.

Lord, I see the ways that I love the things in my life more than you. I'm sorry. It doesn't lead to a good path as I pursue these things more than I pursue you and your will. I don't know exactly how to turn onto a better path. But you will show me? I want to see your perspective. Thank you for your peservance and patience in my life. Amen.



Further reading:

https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/how-to-hate-your-life

http://youngdisciples.org/love-the-will-hate-the-world-john-1225/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John 6:35 Feast for eternity

John 1:19-28 - I am the Voice

John 6:53-57 Eat my flesh!