John 17: Glory

"My prayer is not for them alone. I also pray for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you have given me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

Father, I want those you have given to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world." (John 17:20-24) 

The glory of Jesus. Where is it? How can I see it?   John Piper speaks of God's glory as something to be amazed at - taking the attention off ourselves and being awestruck by him. Being amazed at what he says, what he does and how he thinks.

This is what Jesus wants for us! He prayed it the night before he died. There is something that we share with Jesus and with God. There is a shared glory that comes from God and that is rooted in love. Maybe it is the good reputation kind of glory that Jeremy Myers writes of in his Redeeming God article. Maybe it is the power and wisdom kind of glory that Jesus embodies. I'm not exactly sure.

But what I'd like to take away from this is:

- there is a love between Jesus and God that Jesus wants us to also receive

- when we are all united in love, as the church, we are letting the world know that God sent Jesus.

This week, I'm feeling extraordinarily good. I am optimistic about the future, confident in my abilities, energetic in body and mind. It's easy to move on with life and forget Jesus! I know some people are ok with their faith being on the side lines. But I feel a need to be devout. To make my faith the central reason for my thinking and actions. And when my thinking begins to drift away from my faith, I slip into a confused and stressed state of mind. 

Lord, help me to see you in everything I do. Help me to recognize when the Holy Spirit is prompting me. Help me to receive your love that sets me free. Help me to keep an open dialogue with you throughout my day. 

I listened to some of of Mark Comer's video on the
Elimination of Hurry. I want to apply those principles of slowing down and being present. That's something that struck me about Hawaii. The moments I enjoyed the most were the times when I had no other thoughts except what was in front of me. When there wasn't an internal dialogue of worry or condemnation. When I was running on the boardwalk, with kids on the beach, or at the zoo. Sure, it's good to have times of thinking/planning, but after it's done, it's good for me just to walk away and let it be.

I'll try that today!





Resources: 

https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/the-goal-of-christs-love

https://redeeminggod.com/john-17/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John 6:35 Feast for eternity

John 1:19-28 - I am the Voice

John 6:53-57 Eat my flesh!