John 6:53-57 Eat my flesh!

John 6:53-57 "Jesus said to them "Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life and I will raise them up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me." 

It is a very extreme metaphor, isn't it?! How can we begin to imagine this cannibalistic image?

It seems strange that Jesus would give us this impossible task as the secret to eternal life. However, as I grow in the understanding of my own limitations and frailty, this metaphor becomes more clear.

In past years, I used to ask for Jesus's help for small things here and there - when I was dealing with cranky kids or felt overwhelmed by my messy house. I knew he was always with me and I could draw upon him for strength and patience and love.  

The last few months, as I face the fact that I may have a mental illness, my need for Jesus feels even greater. Things are hard for me. I am not the person I thought I was. I don't have super powers. Sometimes I get stuck in depressive thoughts. I am often on the verge of tears. My strong exterior - the protective layer I wear to make it through the days - is actually paper thin.  

The negative feelings are strong and almost every day, it takes effort to fight them off. Often I am not successful and I just carry them along with me. But thank goodness that I have a higher power - someone far stronger and smarter than I am -  who is inside me and who helps me live. My life is not just the 40 more years I have on this planet. It will extend beyond my death. And that life will be much much better than this one. I won't have to fight off the tormenting voices. I won't have deal with the confusion of not knowing who I am and what my rights are. I won't feel the guilt of not doing enough. 

Until then, I need to cling to Jesus as if my life depended on it.  Being nourished by him every day as if he is my kale and egg breakfast. This isn't a promise because I know I will fail. This is just an acknowledgement of my need for him. My prayer is that he will help me remember to come to him every day... and again and again throughout the day. For the rest of my years on earth. Amen.


  

A great article which unpacks the flesh/blood metaphor: http://www.jesuswalk.com/lords-supper/8_john6.htm



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John 6:35 Feast for eternity

John 1:19-28 - I am the Voice